Oranges are great… Actually, most citrus fruits are pretty awesome all around. They’re bright in color, bursting with delicious flavor, and chock-full of super important vitamins and minerals.
Like we said before, oranges are certainly no exception, they possess any of the good qualities you could find in any other healthy citrus fruit. On top of that, their flavor goes well with just about anything, other fruit, drinks, desserts, etc…
But did you know, that on the inside, or actually the outside, oranges are hiding some amazing health benefits that an insanely large amount of people are completely unaware of. You see, when everyone thinks of oranges, they think of the flesh of the fruit, the little orange insides that are filled with juice. But what you might not have known is that the peel of the orange is actually filled with amazing vitamins and minerals, as well anti-cancer benefits, that we wouldn’t otherwise be getting, if we just stuck to eaing the inside of the fruit.
So…The next time you decide to eat an orange, and you take of the skin and go to throw away the peel, think twice… Don’t throw it out, save it for later to eat.
It should be noted though, this should only be done with organic oranges, that you yourself have CLEANED beforehand.
And now… Here are just a few of the many, many benefits to eating orange peel… Enjoy!
1. An Excellent Source of Vitamins and Minerals: Besides the 11 grams of fiber and gram and a half of protein that you will find in one orange peel, you will also find both vitamins C and B in there, not only that, but the peel of the orange contains super-important things such as as iron, magnesium, copper and zinc.
2. Great Anti-Cancer Benefits: As stated above, the peel has cancer-fighting properties. It contains flavonoids that work with the vitamin to slow down the growth of cancer cells. Studies have shown that orange peel can actually reduce your risk of some types of skin cancers. Additionally, studies show that those who consume orange peel regularly have less risk of being diagnosed lung cancer, as well (when compared to those who just eat the fruit inside).
3. Helps With Weight Loss Efforts: Orange peel may help to increase metabolism and help the body burn fat faster, increasing weight loss.
4. Lowers Cholesterol: Orange peel also contains properties which help to lower your bad cholesterol levels.
5. Improves Digestion: Orange peel can improve your digestion, too, because of its anti-inflammatory properties. It can provide aid to those with , diarrhea and acidity. It can even help prevent constipation and help .
6. Helps With Bronchitis: Drinking stuff with orange peel in it can easily help with bronchitis. In fact, if you drink the tea often enough, you actually are able to completely heal the infection.
7. Halitosis: Orange peel is a wonderful cure for bad breath. All you have to do is chew a tiny piece of it to rid yourself of that terrible, terrible halitosis.