Guess what? Cucumbers are fruit! Not vegetables… Also, eating organic cucumbers can have a great many health benefits. Besides having high water content, cucumbers contain vitamins B, C and K, potassium, manganese, and copper.
In fact, cucumbers can reduce the risk of chronic diseases since they contain polyphenols and other compounds.
Here are the benefits you’ll get if you eat cucumbers regularly.
1. Lower risk of cancer: According to research cucumbers have polyphenols that can reduce the risk of uterine, ovarian, prostate, and breast cancer. Additionally, researchers believe that cucurbitacins (phytonutrients in cucumbers) can help fight cancer.
2. Protects your brain: Cucumbers contain fisetin, a compound that improves brain health. This animal study shows fisetin can prevent memory loss in Alzheimer’s patients.
3. Stay hydrated: Cucumbers contain 96 percent water. So eating them regularly can prevent dehydration and reduce the amount of water you should drink in a day.
4. Eliminates bad breath: Keeping a cucumber slice in your mouth for a few minutes can remove bacteria that cause bad breath. Cucumbers also reduce stomach heat, which is considered the cause of bad breath.
5. Fights inflammation: Research shows that cucumber can fight inflammation due to their strong anti-inflammatory properties.
6. Attain your ideal weight: Cucumbers will keep you full without consuming excess calories. One medium size cucumber has 47 calories. They’ll also prevent hunger due to high fiber content.
7. Improves digestive health: Cucumbers will benefit your digestion because they contain water and fiber. For one thing, drinking lots of water can reduce acid reflux and bloat. And fiber improves bowel movement and can treat constipation.
8. Removes toxins from your body: The water in cucumbers will help flush out toxins out of your body. Cucumbers also help dissolve kidney stones.
9. Reduces stress: Cucumbers can contribute to reducing stress and anxiety since they are rich in B vitamins.
10. Better skin and hair: You can apply cucumber skin on your skin to treat irritation and sunburns. Cucumbers also have Sulphur and silicon which enhance hair growth.
11. Reduce hangover and headaches: Eating a few slices before going to bed can prevent hangover and headaches in the morning.
12. Reduce arthritis and gout pain: Cucumbers are rich in vitamins and minerals that reduce uric acid build up and strengthen connective tissues. Eating them can reduce gout and arthritis pain.